Science Alive News and Announcements
DRI GreenPower’s seventh Annual Winter Teacher Training is fast approaching! You’ll experience a full day of instructional presentations that will provide you with new content knowledge. You’ll hear from DRI’s esteemed Dr. Nina Oakley and have the opportunity to explore several working science labs. Engaging hands-on activities from our newest Green Boxes will be taught by fellow educators and members of the GreenPower team. During our community fair, you’ll have an opportunity to meet with some of our community partners who offer valuable resources to educators in Northern Nevada.
As always, this training is offered free of charge.
Date: Saturday, January 31, 2015
Time: 8:00am - 4:30pm
Location: DRI Reno Campus
2215 Raggio Parkway
Reno, NV 89512
What is air? Should we be concerned about air quality? What is "bad" ozone and how can it affect us?
Presented by Sierra Nevada Journeys and sponsored by Air Quality Management Division and Washoe County School District, join us for a hands-on exploration of the properties of air and the quality of air in the Reno area. We'll discover the difference between "good" and "bad" ozone, identify ways to reduce "bad" ozone, and brainstorm ideas for conducting an idle-free campaign at your school. You'll walk away with activities that address standards and teach the importance of keeping our air clean.
Lunch will be served and a .5 CEU is available.
Date: Saturday, September 13, 2014
Location: DRI - Reno, Stout Conference Center 2215 Raggio Parkway, Reno NV 89512
Want to improve your science knowledge on topics like energy, energy efficiency, renewable energy, water and climate? Wondering how you’ll incorporate the new Next Generation Science Standards into your teaching?
On August 14th-15th, GreenPower in collaboration with Southern Nevada Regional Professional Development Program will host a teacher professional development training at the Desert Research Institute Las Vegas campus. Rural teachers will have paid lodging and receive travel stipends to attend.
This two-day, 15 hour training (some online) will strengthen your energy and climate knowledge with speakers from the local community and model a variety of inquiry-based, hands-on lessons plan for you bring back to the classroom.
When: August 14th- 15th, 2014
- Optional: August 16, 2014
1. With an option of 3 hours of online work or
2. Brief field trip on the 16th in the morning to Springs Preserve
Where: Desert Research Institute, Las Vegas Campus (Near Atomic Testing Museum)
- 755 E Flamingo Road, Las Vegas, NV 89119 (Plenty of parking)
- Trainings will be broken up into smaller workshops depending on the grade you teach; Grades 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12.
- Each breakout will be taught by fellow educators and are on lessons from our Green Boxes
- 1 Graduate Credit from UNLV that costs $75. Register at UNLV.
** Log into MY UNLV and use your current login or create a new one.
** Use the 5-Digit Class number: 54232 and follow the on screen directions.
- Participants will have breakfast and lunch provided on the 14th and 15th
- There will be a short happy hour with beverages and light snacks at the completion of the training on the 15th