What is STEAM?
Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math = STEAM
We believe that incorporating arts into our learning practices of STEM, it helps to broaden the participation of underrepresented groups by making STEM more fun, approachable, and creative. Arts integration allows students to learn things in a more open ended way and make them applicable to real life.
Our team has made the push for the inclusion of the arts in STEM and helped form and sit on the Governor’s STEAM Advisory Council's Integrating Arts & Culture into STEM subcommittee. We also have focused on incorporating STEAM lessons into some of our Green Boxes and started hosting Nevada’s first state-wide STEAM teacher professional development trainings with our art community partners.
2017 STEAM Trainings:
- A STEAM Teacher Training; City Planning, Design, Development and the Human Experience (Reno)
- Partnership with Nevada Museum of Art, The Smith Center, Nevada Arts Council, Sierra Arts Foundation, The Discovery, and the Lied Discovery Children’s Museum
- Keynote from Will Peterson, Burning Man co-founder and Bonnie Sherk a landscape architect that created the Living Library
- Southern Nevada Science Teachers Association Conference- STEAM Education Track
- Partnership with Nevada Museum of Art, The Smith Center, Nevada Arts Council, Sierra Arts Foundation, The Discovery,and the Lied Discovery Children’s Museum
- Keynote from Page Hernandez a multidisciplinary artist with is acclaimed as a performer, director, choreographer and playwright.
2016 STEAM Trainings:
- Exploring STEAM Education Through Music and the Sound of Science (Vegas)
- Partnership with the Smith Center of Performing Arts with guests from the Kennedy Center
- Exploring STEAM Education Through Resilience and Design (Reno)
- Partnership with Nevada Museum of Art